Milton Ness Memorial Teddy Bear Hospital
4/12/2018 6:52:14 PM
Dr. Milton Ness Memorial Teddy Bear Hospital at Dreamnight at the Zoo
Background information: Dreamnight at the Zoo is an annual international event held by over 255 participating zoos, aquariums, and parks, providing a joyous cost-free evening for chronically ill and disabled children and their families. In Edmonton, this event is celebrated by the Edmonton Valley Zoo in partnership with the Stollery Children’s Hospital and many local volunteer contributors.
Since its inception in 2015, children have found delight in EASAV’s ‘The Teddy Bear Hospital’, a brainchild of the late Dr. Milton Ness and Smokey Walters, EASAV’s Executive Assistant. With each year, its popularity continues to grow and now the hospital’s capacity is designed to accommodate more than 700 child visitors.
Families who visit us will find a cozy "hospital" experience provided by EASAV member veterinarians, clinic staff and their families. Interactive hands-on displays include adoption of donated stuffed animals with personalized ID collars, a bandaging centre, stocked with decorative vetrap for wound care, and a surgery room, where foreign body surgery can be performed on a stuffed “teddy”, revealing surprising treasures inside to reward the brave surgeons. An outdoor photo booth to record and help commemorate the event all add to the fun.
EASAV would like to thank the following outstanding contributors to this event: Dr. Shannon Wawryk and staff at the Stony Plain Veterinary Clinic (Photo booth), The Millwoods East Veterinary Clinic & Summit Veterinary Pharmacy (Candy donations, current and past), The Capilano & Ottewell Animal Clinics (initial Teddy Bear Drive & surgery dogs), Uncas Veterinary Clinic (Adoption Centre). Dr. Maria Sung for hands-on displays and Kathy Ness for her annual donation to this program.
For more details and a full list of our event contributors, please visit the EASAV website at www.edmontonvetinfo.com.
(Article written by: Natasha Russell, DVM, EASAV Vice President for the AbVMA Members' Magazine)
If you would like a copy of a photo collage or our power point (with music) from past events to post in your clinic, please click on this link to request access to our Google Drive or our Private Facebook Page (Facebook page access is only granted to EASAV Members).
EASAV Stuffed Animal Drive
Each year, members of the Edmonton Association of Small Animal Veterinarians and their associated veterinary clinics join forces with their clients, family and friends to collect donations of NEW and some gently used stuffed animals!
The donations are sorted and given to the children (patients of the Children's Stollery Hospital) who attend Dreamnight at the Zoo.
For the last two years, we have given away over 700 stuffed animals!!
At our Teddy Bear Hospital, families get to interact with real veterinarians and veterinary technologists while they remove foreign bodies from our stuffed surgery dogs, participate in various interactive displays, bandage their stuffies (and themselves!) and provide basic stuffed veterinary care to their newly adopted pets.
If you can donate stuffed animals (any size) to one of our Veterinary Clinic Depot centres, please visit one of them today!
Questions? Please contact Smokey Walters at (780)970-3728 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Veterinary Clinic Depot Centres
(If you would prefer to drop donations off at your own vet clinic, ask them if they can store the stuffies & contact us on your behalf!)
- Millwoods East Veterinary Clinic: Address: 2322 24 St NW, Edmonton, AB T6T 0G9; Phone: (780) 461-0629
- South Side Animal Hospital: 6003-104 Street, Edmonton, AB; Phone: (780) 464-1287
- Terwillegar Veterinary Clinic: 14735 40 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T6R 1N1; Phone: (780) 435-8387
- Ottewell Animal Clinic: 6142 90 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T6B 0P2; Phone: (780) 466-1826
- Capilano Animal Clinic: 9945 50 St NW, Edmonton, AB T6A 0L4; PhoneL (780)469-0657
- Westside Animal Clinic: 5232-199 Street, Edmonton, AB Phone: (780) 481-4393
- Mercy Animal Hospital: 15825 97 St NW, Edmonton, AB T5X 0C7; Phone: (780)406-1400
- Delton Veterinary Hospital: 8203 127 Ave NW, Edmonton AB T5E 0A1; Phone: (780)475-9225
- Guardian Veterinary Centre: 5620 - 99 St NW, Edmonton, AB T6E 1V2 (780)436-5880
- Granada Veterinary Clinic: 304 101 Granada Blvd Sherwood Park, AB T8A 4W2; Phone: (780) 464-1287
- Uncas Veterinary Clinic: 52307 Range Rd 213 #265, Sherwood Park, AB T8G 1C1
- Spruce Grove Veterinary Clinic: 5 South Avenue, Spruce Grove, AB; Phone: (780) 962-3233
- Stony Plain Veterinary Clinic: 4920 44 Avenue, Stony Plain, AB T7Z 1V5
- Mission Ridge Animal Hospital: 51 Liberton Drive, St Albert, Alberta Phone: (780) 458-3833
- St. Albert Animal Clinic: 22 St. Anne Street, St. Albert, AB T8N 1E9; Phone: (780)459-3600
Attention Veterinary Clinics:
The Uncas Veterinary Clinic Adoption Centre
The Uncas Veterinary Clinic has offered to collect all stuffed animal donations for this year's event. They will be receiving delivereries of donations of new and very gently used stuffed animals starting in January, washing those that need it, throwing away those that are too worn to give away and sorting them by species before our event! We anticipate the need for 800 or more stuffed animals this year.
Announcing our new stuffed animal delivery service for donations:
Some our industry representatives have volunteered to deliver donations of stuffed animals from participating veterinary clinics to the Uncas Veterinary Clinic! If you want to get a head start on your annual teddy bear drive and start your collections early, the following representatives have agreed to do deliveries, when they are in your area:
Vetoquinol: Alana Gomez
Royal Canin: Charlene Humphrey
Summit Veterinary Pharmacy: Alice Boshier
Trupanion: David and Lee Milan
Bayer: Eric Pasimio
Purina: Kelsey Schellenberg
Idexx: Linzi Martin
Boehringer: Adam Spies
Aventix: Tammy Sorensen
Download the Teddy Bear Drive Poster for your business here.
Download a 3-page informational article of our Teddy Bear Hospital page here.
Email Smokey to request a copy of the Dreamnight Photo Collage you see below.
What veterinary clinics have done to get donations:
Information for the 2018 event
- Advertise through your family and friends!
- Accept donations at the front desk - include plenty of advertising around the clinic
- Offer something in exchange for a new stuffed animal from the client (I.e.: Vet Clinics: nail trims, tattoos with surgeries, etc.)
- with some promotion, this could be great for Public Relations, especially if you get the media involved!
- We also accept monetary donations towards the purchase of stuffed animals. $5 will purchase an adorable beanie boo!
Date: Friday, June 1, 2018 (confirmed date)
Time: 6:30 pm - 10:00 pm.
Location: Edmonton Valley Zoo
Shift Start Time: 6:00 pm
Dr. Milton Ness Memorial Teddy Bear Hospital Volunteer Information
We require 40-50 volunteers!
Please contact Smokey if you can help out! Please include the following with your RSVP to attend as a volunteer:
- Email address
- Cell phone number
- Position/Time requested
1:00 pm - 5:30 pm (set-up and supply/stuffed animal deliveries only) (10-20 volunteers needed)
5:30 pm - 10:30 pm (includes take-down) (20-30 volunteers needed)
- Welcome table
- Adoption Centre: (Uncas Vet Clinic has reserved the right to man this station)
- Surgery Room:
- Bandaging Centres
- Interactive Displays
- NEW: Rehab Centre
- NEW: Prevent A Bite Table
- NEW: Harness and Scoop the Poop Races
- Photographers and helpers
- Photo Centre
The hospital will be set up in a large tent. Weather permitting, some stations will be set up outside of the tent.
Shifts will be delegated on a first registered basis.
If there is a place you prefer to be, please let Smokey know!
We need volunteers to bring the following supplies:
these items will be used by and remain under the supervision of the volunteer who brings it and should go home with that individual.
If you have any questions regarding the Milton Ness Memorial Teddy Bear Hospital or would like to volunteer, please contact me at email@example.com or by phone at (780)970-3728.
- Assorted pieces of vetrap, pre-cut into cute shapes for decorating bandages
- Clean lab coat or scrubs (as uniform)
- Optional....Otoscopic thermometer or rectal thermometer (well-cleaned, please)
- Optional....1 blood pressure pump with various cuff sizes (to fit various sizes of teddy bears)
- 1 Stethoscope/Volunteer
- We have an interactive display, courtesy of Dr. Maria Sung as well as an Xray slide show.
- Please email interesting xrays (obvious fractures, foreign bodies, etc.), with patient ids removed to firstname.lastname@example.org
EASAV Executive Assistant