Milton Ness Memorial Teddy Bear Hospital
7/27/2017 12:20:22 AM
Dr. Milton Ness Memorial Teddy Bear Hospital at Dreamnight at the Zoo
EASAV Stuffed Animal Drive
Each year, members of the Edmonton Association of Small Animal Veterinarians and their associated veterinary clinics join forces with their clients, family and friends to collect donations of NEW and some gently used stuffed animals!
The donations are sorted and given to the children (patients of the Children's Stollery Hospital) who attend Dreamnight at the Zoo.
For the last two years, we have given away over 700 stuffed animals!!
At our Teddy Bear Hospital, families get to interact with real veterinarians and veterinary technologists while they remove foreign bodies from our stuffed surgery dogs, participate in various interactive displays, bandage their stuffies (and themselves!) and provide basic stuffed veterinary care to their newly adopted pets.
If you can donate stuffed animals (any size) to one of our Veterinary Clinic Depot centres, please visit one of them today!
Questions? Please contact Smokey Walters at (780)970-3728 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Veterinary Clinic Depot Centres
(If you would prefer to drop donations off at your own vet clinic, ask them if they can store the stuffies & contact us on your behalf!)
- Millwoods East Veterinary Clinic: Address: 2322 24 St NW, Edmonton, AB T6T 0G9; Phone: (780) 461-0629
- South Side Animal Hospital: 6003-104 Street, Edmonton, AB; Phone: (780) 464-1287
- Terwillegar Veterinary Clinic: 14735 40 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T6R 1N1; Phone: (780) 435-8387
- Ottewell Animal Clinic: 6142 90 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T6B 0P2; Phone: (780) 466-1826
- Capilano Animal Clinic: 9945 50 St NW, Edmonton, AB T6A 0L4; PhoneL (780)469-0657
- Westside Animal Clinic: 5232-199 Street, Edmonton, AB Phone: (780) 481-4393
- Mercy Animal Hospital: 15825 97 St NW, Edmonton, AB T5X 0C7; Phone: (780)406-1400
- Delton Veterinary Hospital: 8203 127 Ave NW, Edmonton AB T5E 0A1; Phone: (780)475-9225
- Granada Veterinary Clinic: 304 101 Granada Blvd Sherwood Park, AB T8A 4W2; Phone: (780) 464-1287
- Uncas Veterinary Clinic: 52307 Range Rd 213 #265, Sherwood Park, AB T8G 1C1
- Spruce Grove Veterinary Clinic: 5 South Avenue, Spruce Grove, AB; Phone: (780) 962-3233
- Stony Plain Veterinary Clinic: 4920 44 Avenue, Stony Plain, AB T7Z 1V5
Download the Teddy Bear Drive Poster for your business here.
- Mission Ridge Animal Hospital: 51 Liberton Drive, St Albert, Alberta Phone: (780) 458-3833
What veterinary clinics have done to get donations:
We would like to have collected all teddy bears by April 30 of each year. The Uncas Veterinary Clinic has graciously taken over the entire Adoption Centre, including the tasks of receiving, washing and maintaining an inventory of all stuffed animal donations. If you cannot store donations at your clinic and need to deliver them, please bring them to the Uncas Veterinary Clinic or to have someone pick them up, please let Smokey know. If you collect stuffies after that date, we can save them for next year!
- Advertise through your family and friends!
- Accept donations at the front desk - include plenty of advertising around the clinic
- Offer something in exchange for a new stuffed animal from the client (I.e.: Vet Clinics: nail trims, tattoos with surgeries, etc.)
- with some promotion, this could be great for Public Relations, especially if you get the media involved!
- We also accept monetary donations towards the purchase of stuffed animals. $5 will purchase an adorable beanie boo!
Information for the 2018 event (anticipated)
Date: Friday, June 1, 2018
Time: 6:30 pm - 10:00 pm.
Location: Edmonton Valley Zoo
If you would like a copy of a photo collage or our power point (with music) from the 2016 event to post in your clinic, please click on this link to request access to our Google Drive.
Background information on Dreamnight:
Dreamnight is an international event that began at the Rotterdam Zoo in 1996 with the goal of providing an entirely cost free event for chronically ill and disabled children and their families. Over 255 zoos, aquariums, and parks participate in it all around the world.
Each year, in partnership with the Stollery Children’s Hospital and many volunteer contributors,
the Edmonton Valley Zoo hosts this event. Invited guests have the opportunity to have up-close animal encounters, make amazing animal crafts, indulge in delicious complimentary beverages and tasty treats, enjoy fabulous face painting, magic shows, science experiments, caricatures, live music, and a variety of surprises throughout the night.
Dr. Milton Ness Memorial Teddy Bear Hospital Volunteer Information
We require volunteers to do the following jobs:
1) Volunteer at the event
2) Deliver supplies and stuffies to the zoo
3) Pick up stuffed animals from donor clinics
Please contact Smokey if you can help out! If you are volunteering for the event, we recommend you stay the entire night. We only have a few hours with the kids and this is the fun part, so you don't want to miss out!
Please include the following with your rsvp to attend as a volunteer:
Shifts available: we need 20-24 volunteers
- Email address
- Cell phone number
- Position requested
- Preferred Shift timing
5:30 - 10:00 (includes set-up)
6:00 - 10:30 (includes take-down)
Surgery Room: 8 people
Bandaging Centres: 8 people
Interactive Display Table: 2 people
Photographers: 2-3 (camera required)
NEW: Rehab Centre: 1-2 people
Photo Centre: 4-5 people
Stuffed Animal Adoption Centre: 6 people
Stuffy collection/transportation: 2 people
The hospital will be set up in a large tent of some kind.
Shifts will be delegated on a first registered basis. If there is a place you prefer to be, please let me know!
We need volunteers to bring the following supplies:
these items will be used by and remain under the supervision of the volunteer who brings it and should go home with that individual.
- Assorted pieces of vetrap, pre-cut into cute shapes for decorating bandages
- Clean lab coat or scrubs (as uniform)
- Optional....Otoscopic thermometer or rectal thermometer (well-cleaned, please)
- Optional....1 blood pressure pump with various cuff sizes (to fit various sizes of teddy bears)
- Optional....1 stethoscope/volunteer
- We have an interactive display, courtesy of Dr. Maria Sung as well as an Xray slide show. Please email interesting xrays (obvious fractures, foreign bodies, etc.), with patient ids removed to email@example.com
If you have any questions regarding the Milton Ness Memorial Teddy Bear Hospital or would like to volunteer, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
or by phone at (780)970-3728.
EASAV Executive Assistant